- See www.tukitukitrail.com website. Ride and walk the network of trails between Waipukurau and Waipawa. Beautiful trails along the Tuki Tuki river. Other links: www.tukitukitrail.com/local-attractions, www.tukitukitrail.com/accomodation-camping.
- Walking/hiking in the nearby Ruahine Forest Park – optional tracks cater for all fitness levels. See www.doc.govt.nz\n• Easy walking tracks at nearby A’Deanes Bush, Tukituki river and Monckton’s Reserve.
- Plan your ride here for Hawkes Bay: www.hawkesbaytrails.nz
- Golf – there are numerous golf courses around Hawkes Bay, with several highly regarded ones within 15 minutes’ drive of Ashcott Homestead including Ongaonga, Takapau, Waipukurau and Waipawa. www.sportsground.co.nz Casual course fees are approximately $20 each
- Cycling – there are cycleways along both sides of the TukiTuki River together with mountain bike tracks; the country roads around Central Hawkes Bay are popular with cycling groups
- Fishing – the Tukituki River is the most frequently fished and accessible river in the Hawkes Bay Region with over 300km of highly productive water. Guided tours can be arranged upon request
- Historic Homesteads offering high tea (Oruawharo) and garden visits (Gwavas)
- Beaches within 40 minutes drive including Porangahau, Blackhead and Pourerere\
- Award winning Wineries including the closest, Lime Rock www.limerock.co.nz, Junction Wines www.junctionwines.co.nz. Open the map on this site to see local Hawkes Bay Wineries with a cellar door. www.hawkesbaytrails.nz
- Antique stores in Waipawa, Dannevirke and Napier
- Farmers markets in Otane and Hastings
- Central Hawkes Bay Settlers Museum in Waipawa www.chbsettlersmuseum.co.nz
- Art galleries, shopping and cafes
- Swimming pools in Waipukurau and Waipawa
- Wakeboarding and boating in Takapau www.backpaddocklakes.co.nz
- Regional parks – see www.hbrc.govt.nz/onlinemaps/regionalparks
- Places to eat including cafes, in Waipawa, Waipukurau also has various takeaway shops and Otane. There is a very friendly local pub open specific times at Tikokino called The Sayers Arms (15 minutes drive); Waipukurau has an Indian called Massala and a Gastropub called Copper Pot (20 min), there is also fish and chips takeaway at Takapau open certain days.
- Local Hawkes Bay cellar door wineries: See map at www.hawkesbaytrails.nz